Thorntonia - Week 3

7 April 2012
Carl had the day off so we took the quick (2hrs) trip to town (Mt Isa) to do some grocery shopping. I had to buy a new pair of work boots as my other ones turned out to be too small, they're not called Mongruel for nothing. Harry and I had a toilet stop at the servo, luckily we looked in the bowl before taking position as it was already occupied by a mouse. Must say I wouldn't want to get a nibble from that when on the loo.

8 April 2012
Lloyd, Adam, Carl, Harry, Will and I went up to the O'Shannassy River to christen Lloyd's new tinnie. Didn't get home until past 9 that night as the fishing spot takes an hour and half to get there. We all had success catching a fish or more. Lloyd must have caught 8 or more catfish and lost a barra, Adam managed to catch 2 barra and miss one, I caught a black brim and Carl caught a brim and my nose. His casting needs work! Fortunately for Carl and I it didn't go through my nose only slightly hooked it, but it sure did feel like I had a nose piercing featuring a barra lure as the nose-ring.

There was a rope swing the boys (young & old) had fun on while lunch was cooking. William was the only one not keen on it and was happy sitting on the bank sucking his thumb.
Harry on the rope swing and Adam is ready to catch him


Barra I

Barra II

Catfish King

13 April 2012
Finally the kids and I got to go on a muster to Johnson's yards (which Harry calls big Johnson) doing the water and food in the 'tuckerbox' ute. Harry and Will took turns riding with Lloyd or Carl on the 4wheeler and bike while tailing the cattle to the holding paddock.

brrm brrm


Adam and Lloyd caught a micky and we had to hoist him onto the back of the ute and drive him to the yards aswell as a new born calf. That was a first for me, but apparently won't be the last.

look what we caught!

The kids did pretty good. Will ended up falling asleep on my lap at the end. The disadvantage  of not knowing where you are is at one point we were tailing the cattle and I kept following the road, which made us go up the side of the cattle, next minute we were in the lead. I quickly (as 1st gear can go) got out of there and parked near the yards. (Didn't realise we were there already.)


yep...they're about the same


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

My photo
Carl, Charmaine, Harrison and William. 7/3/12 we started our journey around Australia, not sure how long it will take, just going to see were 'it' takes us.